Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving and Black Friday



I brought a print out of some thankful ABC's to our Hansen Thanksgiving dinner....Mine is to the left and Cade's is on the right. Sorry about my terrible handwriting, I was writing with a colored pencil. And our  letter 'R' are both so perfect.:) (I couldn't think of anything for Y and Z so I gave up).


We had a great Thanksgiving! Aleah and I watched the Macy's parade (or at least parts) while we baked chocolate chip pumpkin muffins and Cade played some football not far from home. Around 2:00 we headed to the Hansen's where we spent the rest of the day. Cade's Grandma was in town and it's always nice to spend time with her. I will never forget the first time I met Gretta. She was so warm and sweet. With her, I feel like I've always been apart of the family. I think everyone deserves to marry someone who has a Grandma like her. Whenever she's around she will repeat over and over to me about Aleah, "Oh, she's is such a doll!" And I love that. She is so great.

I went out for my first time Black Friday shopping THANKSGIVING night. I felt a little bit terrible about it to be honest. I didn't want to support the whole shopping on Thanksgiving thing. But...I thought that I could justify shopping at Midnight. So we waited...put Aleah down at my In-Laws, and waited.... And then I decided at about10:30, it would be ok to go. Dinner is long over by then and it wouldn't be cutting into the dinner for those people who have to work. So we went. Toys 'R' Us was SO great! It just felt like a busy Saturday. The girl who checked us out was open so we checked out quick. Then we went to Kohls....Shopping wasn't bad....The line was though. An hour and a half. 
When we got to the front of the line I saw a friend and talked to her for a little bit. And then I started feeling bad...... Her son had just come home from Thanksgiving at his Dad's house when she had to leave to go to work at 7. Dang it. 
And then my cashier....she was so sweet! I felt even worse after talking to her. I tried to just make friendly conversation and asked her how long she had left in her shift, her response with a smile on her face was, "An hour and a half, can I cry now or later?" And a little laugh. She had been there since about 7 too, I think it was. She was a little older, I pictured her in not the best circumstances that had put her into the work force as a cashier, probably not by her own choosing. (I could be wrong...) She probably left a room full of family to go to a job that she couldn't afford to not have. I just felt for her. She was tired and kept making small mistakes, we weren't bothered by it but I know that there are people who would have been, and from the sounds of it, she had already dealt with people like that. I asked how the people had been and she said that some had been nice and some were "....interesting". Ugh. I wanted to hug her and then curl up in a corner in the fettle position. Working retail SUCKS. She was really great. I just couldn't stop thinking about her though and felt like I was part of the reason she had to take that shift. I know we were only two people, but still... I went to Fred Meyer at around 8 the next morning. 
So, I don't know how I feel about my first year Black Friday shopping. I did get some good deals, but I found when I went back to some stores later that some of those deals were still going on. I didn't have to go so late on Thanksgiving. And honestly, if I had missed out on some of those deals, I don't think it would have really killed me. We could have just gotten Aleah a cheaper car seat to begin with....the rocking pony was only $10 cheaper than what I had seen on amazon. I don't know. I think next year I'll just wait until I wake up on Friday morning and see what's left. I'm sure there will be plenty to choose from. Until next year black friday/thursday(?), until next year...


I hope you all had a GREAT Thanksgiving! 
We have so much to be thankful for over here. 
I love this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment