Friday, January 17, 2014

My Girl Power Reading List

I'm kind of big into a little thing called, "Girl Power". Whenever I have a problem, or questions come up, I'm feeling a little lost or confused, I just need help, insight, understanding & answers.... I first usually pray. And then I go to my bookshelf, gather a handful of books and then pile them on my bed. I jump into bed and then I start thumbing through the pages until something catches my attention. This is when I realized just how much I enjoy a little, "Girl Power".

I love a story that involves a strong woman.
-A woman who knows who she is
-Knows her worth
-Serves selflessly
-Takes her role as a wife and a mother seriously
-Has stood back up after pain & adversity once knocked her down.

I love a good message about the divinity of Womanhood. A message that speaks to my heart as a testimony is being shared of the love the Savior has for me. A message that puts a bright spot light on the powerful roles & missions I have as a woman that no man could ever.

Whenever I need help, I go to these books because I look up to these women. Women who have struggled, but overcome. Who had faith in hard times. Women who were loving, caring, faithful, selfless and strong.
I go to these books--written sometimes by men, who understand the importance of such a woman. They praise her & they love her.


This is my "Girl Power" Reading List (in no particular order):


Women Of The Book Of Mormon

 Beloved Emma

 Giver of Life Lessons From Eve

"Your Happily Ever After"--My favorite talk ever!

Glimpses Into The Life And Heart Of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
--Actually, a really great parenting book, in my opinion. ;)

Blessings On The Hand Of Women

Forget Me Not

Daughters in My Kingdom: The History And Work Of Relief Society

All of these can be found online at www.deseretbook.com 
And if you have any recommendations for me, I would love that. Send them my way!!




I do have two other books worth mentioning though that are always my go-to books but I wouldn't consider an obvious, "Girl Power" book. But they are both powerful books to me and in my life.
 


The first being The Book Of Mormon--I study from both the Bible and The Book Of Mormon. I learn from both at church. I teach from both at church. I learn and study both and have had answers from both in my personal study at home. But I haven't yet read from cover to cover the Bible. That would be a great thing to do though! 
The Book Of Mormon is often my cover-to-cover read over-and-over again book. Lately, I have been so blessed with help and answers through reading the BOM. I know it is a true book. I have been able to apply the things written inside so perfectly in my past and in my present circumstances and trials. When I fall out of the habit of reading this book I am reminded not much later why I should have not stopped reading. I'm blessed to have this book in my life.
 




Two-- One of my favorite books is the 
Teachings Of Thomas S. Monson
My parents sent this to Cade and I a couple years ago for Christmas. At first I didn't know that I would love it as much as I do. I quickly learned how valuable this book is. It is a book I always go to now. It is so good and helpful. Almost anything you have wondered about, there is a quote from the Prophet here. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment