Friday, November 1, 2013

Improving


I've been wrestling with a little something lately.. So I thought it was kind of ironic that I saw this sticky note at my In-Laws yesterday. It completely put into words what I have been trying to correct myself on. I asked my Mother-In-Law about it and she said she heard it on "Leave It To Beaver" the other day; she thought it was a great quote and wrote it down. It is a really good quote. I'm glad she did write it down.









"As you go through life, try to improve yourself, not prove yourself".
Proving is kind of an outward thing, I think. We need to show the world that we are worthy of something or someone. ..Improving is a more silent, inward, private kind of thing.
Proving is sometimes driven by negative feelings--Jealousy, anger, pride.... There is a determination that is fueled by feelings of insecurity. When trying to prove to someone that you are smart, talented, or just good enough...you can get lost in being "better than". Comparison comes in to the picture and that can lead to tearing down other. This is just what I've noticed about myself when I've felt the need to prove.

Improving is a kind of freedom. It doesn't matter what other people think. It doesn't matter where you compare to anyone else. It is between you, The Lord, and yourself. Yeah, I did mean to say that, between you and you and The Lord. (It makes sense in my head). It's about where you are and where you are going; and if you make it, it's because you have changed for the better and not because you are bigger and better. I love this quote and will remember it often, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely needed to hear this. Thank you for this little tender mercy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad. You just made me teary eyed a little bit. What's wrong with me! :)

    ReplyDelete